The government would bring a bill in the coming winter session of the Parliament as part of its efforts to check the menace of NRI husbands abandoning their wives, external affairs minister Sushma Swaraj said on Wednesday.
“We have already launched an institutional mechanism, where you must have seen that 25 passports of such NRI husbands have been revoked. We are also bringing a bill in this session where some more measures are being taken against those husbands,” she told reporters in Hyderabad.
On November 13, the Supreme Court has also sought response from the Centre on a plea seeking mandatory arrest of NRIs deserting their wives and harassing them for dowry.
A bench comprising Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi and Justices S K Kaul and K M Joseph issued notices to the Centre on the plea seeking that the deserted women be accorded legal, financial help and their estranged NRI husbands be arrested after the filing of FIRs.
A group women, who have allegedly been deserted by their NRI husbands and subjected to dowry harassment, have moved the apex court seeking reliefs including mandatory arrest of their estranged spouses and consular help in fighting cases in foreign land
Supreme court of India finally rules on Aadhaar Card issues . . . [September 25, 2018]
Supreme Court Aadhaar verdict:
- Private companies cannot ask for Aadhaar card. [Section 57 of the Aadhaar Act which allowed sharing of data with private entities has been struck down]
- Aadhaar card is not mandatory for the opening of a bank account. Hence bank accounts can be opened without Aadhaar card. Not mandatory to link Aadhaar to bank accounts.
- Aadhaar mandatory for the filing of income tax returns. [NRIs are already exempted from this requirement as NRIs are not eligible for Aadhaar]
- No compulsion to link Aadhaar card to mobile phones. No mobile company can demand Aadhaar card. No requirement to provide Aadhaar to get new mobile SIM Card.
- Aadhaar not compulsory for school admissions. Even CBSE, NEET, UGC cannot make Aadhaar mandatory. No child should be denied the benefits of any scheme for not being able to produce an Aadhaar number.
- Biometric data shall not be shared with any agency without the permission of the court.
- Aadhaar authentication data cannot be stored for more than six months.
Services that will continue to require Aadhaar linking:
- Mandatory to link PAN with Aadhaar. Aadhaar is compulsory for filing Income Tax returns for those who are eligible to apply for Aadhaar. PIOs,
- NRIs continue to be exempt as Aadhaar is only for residents and non-residents are not eligible to apply for Aadhaar.
- Aadhaar is compulsory for availing facilities of welfare schemes and government subsidies